Skip navigation

Category Archives: Hobby Streak

Time for the good old oil wash!

And after wiping most of the wash away:

Haven’t done any work in this guy in a bit so broke him out during D&D and did all the last minute touch ups before he gets the wash!

In the session we talked to a very civil skeleton man, discovered Villneous was a villain, found some monsters in boxes (we left them there), and maybe annoyed a ghost.

So, I’m going to consider running a DND session to count as Hobby Progress. This campaign is set in Eberron, the party is currently level 7 (aside from one character who has a dagger that steals some of his XP).

This session they came into an epic boss fight pretty much tapped out. Mallora was nearly reconstituted (she’s a necromancer/demilich and they arrived in the middle of a dual purpose ritual to incarnate a new body for her as well as open a portal to Dolurhh for nefarious purposes.)

Things would have been simple but the fabric of reality best Calderon is very dense, and several planes are nearly cointerminus allowing aberrant forces from Xoriat to coopt the ritual midway through. Ultimately the party was able to destroy Mallora’s new body and close the portal before too many tentacle monsters got through.

I managed to break apart one of the two “Tower” pieces and fix it, and assembled the rest of the. Now I just need to prime and paint it all.

I didn’t take pictures, but trust me Bro.

One consequence of putting this together with only online instructions is I messed up. And of course it was on the one piece of terrain that was duplicated.

Just need to do the terrain and my half of the core box will all be assembled. I might do Rick’s half for him but I also kind of want to get back to painting. We’ll see where my motivation lies tomorrow.

If you’re considering the game I recommend washing the ShatterPoint sprues before assembly. I suspect they don’t clean the mold release off well. I had trouble assembling with both plastic and super glue (and Ben said he’d had glue issues too) so I washed the remaining sprues last night and they’re going together better with plastic glue now.

Two Mandos and three droids done tonight

Played some Path to Glory with Blake, unfortunately a slight miscalculation on his part allowed me to decisively destroy all of his crates. Still it was a fun game though I feel a little bad. My last matchup against Orruks was pretty devastating, and so I went hard against the third of his army he deployed on my right (to be fair, he did put them RIGHT THERE). Also he accepted the candy almost every time I Tempted him, leading to one of the highest Depravity scores I’ve had (85 – 49 after summoning a KoS mid game).

Two more minis assembled. Plastic and super glue both have trouble adhering so I also washed the rest of the sprues (not pictured) jic it’s mold release causing issues.

Played a Demo yesterday w/ Ben and ended up splitting the Core box w/ Rick. Started assembly of my half today, but only got two models put together. That said, it’s been a joy! Look at this sprue! Well, do the best you can, I’m afraid I managed to focus on Garth Maul’s bits instead of the runner.

Anyways, it’s some of the best runner design I’ve seen. Sure it’s a minor inconvenience that the instructions are online only. But each mini’s bits are consolidated together and each mini has its own letter. Makes it super easy to clip out a figure’s bits and then put them together – no hunting around 2-3 sprues trying to find Part 42. More of this please!